Thursday, July 1, 2010

Post 1/2 marathon

Well its been a long few days. Here is a quick summary.

Sunday the race ended at 9:45. We got home. I rested, chatted with my kids and husband then BAM! I was heading for the shower when the entire world started spinning and I couldn't see. I was shaky and nausous. I tried the shower anyway. Not my best plan although I did feel less sweaty. With the help of my husband I headed upstairs and laid down. I assumed dehydration and tried to push fluids. They just made me feel crappier but I kept trying. About 2 hours later I still felt horrible and had a migraine too. I had my husband take me to the ER where they pumped me with fluids.

I learned a few things. Even though I felt like I drank more fluids than normal 13.1 miles is a long way. Second: some gatorades have carmel coloring which I am allergic to which increased the problems.

Since Sunday I have improved a lot and actually feel silly about the whole ordeal. I debated not posting this but I thought I should share my experience and hope that if anyone else is ever in the situation they will know they are not alone.

The rest of the week:

On Monday I could barely walk. My knee was pretty much locked. I am sure this is because I just laid like a lump on a log on Sunday and didn't keep my muscles moving. Tuesday I felt a lot better and even walked to work from the auto shop (.8 miles) and walked back to pick the car up.

Wednesday I ellipticled for 30 minutes and felt fantastic.

Today I am on vacation but I got up and ran for 30 minutes. I didn't calculate the distance because I was more worried about getting my body moving than anything else.

So now I continue to train for my 10K, 8 miler, and whatever else may come along.

No comments:

Post a Comment