Monday, November 2, 2009

A long journey

I am not a runner.

When I was in school I was one of the kids that huffed and puffed through the mile. Sprinting was always okay and when it came time to sports I was more than willing to run. I felt like my running needed a purpose so distance running never interested me.

But now I realize that running is phenomenal exercise and a great release. It means time just for me. So I am now starting my journey to be a distance runner.

Here is where I am starting from:
I played soccer most of my childhood. Then when I started college I tried to stay active but I was just far to busy with school. Then I became more and more sedentary. I got a job that I love but I sit a lot. Finally after having my first child I decided I needed to do something for me and became an exercising fool. Most days at lunch I would go to the local YWCA and work out. I biked, swam, lifted, did the elliptical and more. I rarely ran though. I felt I lacked the lung capacity and didn't see the appeal.

About a year ago I changed my mind. I started running and finding it a great workout and a time to clear my mind. Then I found out I was pregnant again and running went out the window. But now my son is 6 weeks old and I am back to running.

Now this leads to my goal and this blog. I am going to run a 1/2 marathon in June. Which means I have 7 1/2 months to train. I have a long way to go too. So this blog is to help motivate me and hold me accountable to meet my goal

This goal is for multiple reasons...
1. I am going to be 30 in May. This is my "to accomplish before I'm 30 task" although it won't exactly happen prior to 30.
2. I want to not only lose my baby weight but get into the best shape of my life.
3. My exercise is lacking and need a goal to train for.

So here goes the training.

1 comment:

  1. Jamie - I truly admire your determination to meet your goal! I know you can do it! I am finally getting back into running myself, but am still having a difficult time finding time to get my full workout in...I will definitely cheer you on through your journey :) Thanks for ANOTHER procrastination station for me to check in on, hehe.

    ReplyDelete